Jun 3, 2010

Why people help

I know this is not the most exciting subject for a blog but when I heard the media criticizing Gary Coleman’s wife for not helping him, (after a fatal fall, the actor allegedly bled intensively from a blow to his head), a memory from a certain day came back to haunt me .
According to Myers, Exploring Social Psychology: "People will help when the benefits (social approval and noble feelings) are greater that the costs (the inconvenience of having to help)".Bull#@#@#, people help when they have the courage to do so. In my case, many years ago when I was a senior, on my way to school, I experienced a weird situation that confirmed my conviction.
I usually walked to school and that day I had walked 4 blocks away from home, when I saw a man, lying on the sideways, convulsing. He was about eighty hundred feet from me, I couldn’t think straight and immediately I started screaming for help, or I thought I was… no sound was coming out of my mouth. In other words, I got paralyzed, in total panic.
Somehow, after a few seconds I stepped out of my torpor and ran back home. After telling my mom, we both got in the car and went back to the place and the man was no longer there. There were a few bystanders hanging out, and one of them helped him. The man had had a seizure.
Remembering this episode makes me feel terrible. The matter of the truth is that I freaked out, I didn’t have any training in CPR and my mom said I would have probably caused more damage than help if I had tried to help him. Helloooowww!!! Obviously she was trying to make me feel less guilty!
I leave judgment to God. He is the one who is going to say, Oh, that sinner who lives on the top of the hill in that cul-de-sac...
Until today I pray for that man. I hope he made it. The simply thought I haven’t tried to help the man always piss me off. Anyways... changing gears from my past memoirs to more updated news...
The baby surprise jacket is in progress and I am also knitting a baktus.
Baktus

Baby Surprise Jacket

Este assunto não é dos mais interessantes para um blog, mas quando ouvi a mídia criticando a esposa do Gary Coleman por não ajudá-lo (depois de uma queda fatal, o ator teria sangrado intensamente devido à uma pancada na cabeça), um fato que aconteceu comigo no passado voltou a me assombrar.
Segundo Myers, Explorando a Psicologia Social: "As pessoas ajudam quando os benefícios (aprovação social e sentimentos nobres) são maiores que os custos (o inconveniente de ter que ajudar)". Baboseira pura. Na minha opinião as pessoas ajudam porque têm coragem para fazê-lo. No meu caso, muitos anos atrás, quando ainda cursava o colegial, no meu caminho para a escola, passei por uma situação estranha, que confirmou a minha convicção.
Eu normalmente ia para a escola à pé e naquele dia, eu ja havia caminhado quase 4 quarteirões de casa, quando vi um homem deitado na calçada, tendo uma convulsão. Ele estava à uns 2 metros de distância de mim, eu não conseguia pensar direito no que fazer e imediatamente, comecei a gritar por ajuda, ou eu pensei que gritava... nenhum som saía da minha boca. Em outras palavras, eu paralizei, em pânico total.
Passados alguns segundos, saí do meu torpor e corri de volta para casa. Depois de contar pra minha mãe, nós duas entramos no carro e retornamos ao local. O homem não estava mais lá. Haviam alguns transeuntes no local e um deles socorreu o pobre coitado, ele havia sofrido um ataque epiléptico.
Sempre que me lembro desse episódio me sinto péssima. A pura verdade é que eu me apavorei, não entendia nadica de nada de Ressuscitação Cardiopulmonar e minha mãe disse que eu provavelmente teria causado mais danos que benefícios se eu tivesse tentado ajudá-lo. Hãaaaaa! Ela estava só tentando me fazer sentir menos culpada!
Deixo para Deus julgar. Ele é quem vai dizer "Ah, aquela pecadora que vive no topo da colina no beco sem saída ...
Espero que o pobre homem tenha se safado do ataque e não tenha batido as botas. Mas quando penso que eu não tentei ajudá-lo, esse saco de assunto me incomoda! Esquecendo minhas trágicas memórias do passado e passando para algo mais atual...
A jaquetinha surpresa está em andamento e também estou tricotando um baktus.

No comments: